Thursday, January 16, 2014

22nd Meet - Mexican Food!



I can’t believe it took us three years to have our first Mexican Exchange. We are all big Mexican food fans and probably cook Mexican food a couple of times a month. That being said we challenged ourselves to try authentic Mexican. We are just so used to serving store bought tortilla, taco seasoning on everything, and canned beans (okay maybe not all the girls do this, but I certainly do). So our goal was to make authentic Mexican food using somewhat whole ingredients. And if I do say so myself, it was a success.


We started the night with some queso, mushroom salsa, and guacamole served with chips. Jalpa whipped up the queso in practically no time. Vaishali served guacamole and this amazing mushroom salsa. You couldn't even tell it was made of mushrooms (for all you non-mushroom fans). She got her inspiration from Puerto Vallarta, a local Mexican restaurant. I think we could have just eaten those three items and satisfied our appetites.





For main entrees we had some vegetarian stuffed poblano peppers and Mexican rice made by Nishal, fish tacos made by Vaishali, and chicken lettuce wraps made by me. The last isn't necessarily a staple in Mexican cuisine, but I figured it would be a healthier option to the homemade tortillas made by Jalpa! Don’t get me wrong, if I had the option, I would always pick the tortilla over the lettuce.  All of this deliciousness was served with a refreshing drink with chia seeds that I made along with some Mexican soda.

We ended our dinner with made from scratch Churros that Parul made. For me that was the best part of the day. They were rich in flavor without being super sugary. She served it with melted dark chocolate. I am so making this at the next family Mexican night.

We had two special visitors during this meeting. Kavita came for the first time ever to The Exchange and so did Nishal’s baby A. We hope Kavita got lots of ideas from just this one exchange and can use them now that she’s a newly wed. Baby A will have to wait a couple of years to try anything from that night’s menu.




Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment