With the warm days of summer upon us, a great way to cool off is with ceviche. Ceviche is typically made with red snapper that is “cooked” by the acidity of lime and lemon juice. This version is prepared with shrimp, which is pre-cooked. You can use uncooked shrimp and let it cook in the juice. While the marinate will cook the proteins, it will not kill the bacteria. So I decided to just use pre-cooked shrimp.Pin It Now!
- 1 pound medium-small shrimp, cooked
- 2 Tbsp salt
- lime juice (juice from 2-3 limes)
- lemon juice (juice from 1 lemon)
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 Jalapeño, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cucumber, peeled diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 avocado, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- tortilla chips, optional
- Cut each piece of shrimp in half, or into inch-long pieces. Place shrimp in a glass or ceramic bowl. Mix in the lime and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate for a half hour or more.
- Mix in the chopped red onion and jalapeño. Refrigerate an additional half hour.
- Right before serving, add the cilantro, cucumber, and avocado. Adjust salt to your taste.
- Serve with tortilla chips.